Saturday, September 18, 2010

Packing List (Continued)

A few months ago, I wrote a packing list for new PCVs coming to Tonga.

Now, after spending several nights in the main town of Pangai, I have new additions to the list: ear plugs and eye shades.

Though I have my fair share of ridiculous noises throughout the night (horses, dogs, people yelling at each other), it all pales in comparison to the big "city." In Pangai, there are dogs galore, but also cars, incessant church bells, firetrucks (and they were in action this past week), stereos, not to mention the constant hum of the generator a few blocks away. This all makes getting rest difficult and, after sunrise, just about impossible.

When the churches began their singing at 5:30am, when the baby across the street was screaming at 4:00am, or when the people on my back porch didn't go to bed until 2:00am, I really wish I had those ear plugs. And for the practically daily nap with the sun streaming into my bedroom, I really wish I had those shades too.

1 comment:

  1. How is the Peace Corps different from traditional volunteer work?

    ReplyDelete